Propeller Spin Transitions
The basis for the following tricks is pretty simple, but the number of
variations that you can develop from it is endless. The base trick for
this is doing a full propeller spin on one handstick, stop and reverse
direction and toss to the other hand. The other hand then does the same
thing, one propeller spin, stop, reverse and toss back to other hand. What
this base trick does is it gives you time to do something interesting with
the handstick not doing the propeller spin.
Here are some variations of things to do with the free handstick.
As you can see from many of the examples above, you can do almost any club
juggling throw with the free handstick.
- Handstick flips. This looks nice if you do the flip to the side of
your body so that the handstick and devilstick are spinning in the
- Under leg handstick flips. In this variation you lift a leg and do
a handstick toss under the leg then catch it with the same hand above
- Under arm handstick flips. In this variation you reach under the arm
that is doing the porpeller spin and do a half or full handstick flip.
Here's a video doing this from a front camera angle and also a back
- Behind the back handstick flip. Here you do a "blind" handstick
flip behind your back. This will most likely look best with your
back to the audience. Here is a video of this transition from a back
and then front angle.
Here is a combination of the back and front handstick flips:
Here is a combination of the back and side handstick flips:
- Toss handstick under arm doing the propeller, then reach over the top to
catch the handstick.
- Handstick toss under and across. This is a little different than the
above variation because the handstick tossed under the arm is
tossed across the body back to the same free hand.
- Handstick flip up and down. Here you do a reverse half flip of the
handstick and catch it so it is pointing up, and then do a normal
flip down and catch it.
- Shoulder drops. Here you raise the handstick over your shoulder and
it hangs down behind it. Drop the handstick and then you will catch
the falling handstick under your arm.
- Behind the back. Here you reach around and toss the handstick behind
your back to the front of you, and then you bring your arm back around
to the front and catch the handstick.
- Behind the back catch. Similar to above, but you do the handstick toss
in front of your body, and then reach around and catch the handstick
with your arm behind your back.
- Self pass under arm.
Extended propeller spin transition.
If there is a trick with the handstick that needs a bit more time to complete
before the spin is done then there are a couple ways to extend that time
with the propeller. The easiest way is to just do another propeller spin
before doing the reverse and toss to the other hand. However, another way
to give you a little more time, and I think it looks nicer, is to give the
devilstick an extra spin after the reverse and before the toss. It's not
even a full flip, it's more like a rollover into switching to the other hand.
This transition is similar to a
two handstick propeller move.
Back to Propeller/ Tricks Page.
Back to Main Tricks Page.
Back to The Devilstick Page.